Monday, February 16, 2009

Fly high.....and land

The most used word in the entire course of my MBA is 'External Environment'. My Prof says that unless a firm changes with the changes in the external environment, it will become obsolete. All throughout my MBA i have learnt this one thing, that adaptability is the key to success, especially for firms. I wonder though whether it applies to humans as well. Darwin says it does and is necessary. But change at what cost??

I have seen people change...entirely. New people altogether. Transformed. It frightens me at times. Its good that people change because they need to transform in order to live better and deliver better. But should the change get into your head?? Can it sweep you off your feet?? What if it changes you for life? What if you change so much that you lose your humility? What if the change starts playing with your head? What if you start looking down upon people? What if its starts making you feel that you are the best???

Then its a problem i guess. In an interview with one of the companies, the interviewer asked me as to which were those two qualities that are essential to succeed in an organisation. I replied "Humility and hardwork". He then asked me how something like humility fit in in a profession like sales. He asked me what if someone overtook me by being smart and arrogant. I said i would be happy being at the same place as i would do what i felt was right. Was it wrong to say something like it today. Are we so desperate to beat the other in our professional and personal lives? What do we want to prove by being superior over the other?

For me the most important thing is to be humble. It will always be. I cant stand people who fly off the ground never to come back. I believe that unless you stick to the soil, you will never understand what is happening around. At the same time i do understand and believe that self respect comes higher and one cannot forego of it at the cost of being humble but one cannot lose respect for others too. The greatness about a tree is just that. It is tall and yet its is deeply grounded due to its roots.

2 comments:

Zen said...

I like the ending of the article and will use it myself somewhere ! :)

Now to the part i do not agree with:
"What if its starts making you feel that you are the best??? Then its a problem I guess" . Why ???? I guess you should always feel you are the best ! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I feel it is just a sign of very healthy self esteem. The problem comes when you start saying that aloud to people. But feeling you are the best in whatever you are doing is necessary. If you are not the best then you should strive to be the best and then feel the same :)

"Are we so desperate to beat the other in our professional and personal lives?" -> Personal Life ... I don't want to beat the other person ! :P
But professional life .. Yes I do ! Yes I do ! And I think that was not a very clever thing to say what you said in the interview. It might have made you feel good about yourself... but that was not the place and time to feel good !!!!

"What do we want to prove by being superior over the other?" -> exactly that ! -> that I am superior over the other...and it is definitely not an "evil" feeling to have which I think you are suggesting ( excuse me for the hyperbole .. I know you dont mean evil... but it sounded nice in the sentence :P) .

Finally, I appreciate the central idea of the article... but I think that the way you put it is muddled with other ideas !

Yours sincerely,

Zen :P

The Inquisitive One said...

I agree with Zen on on epoint1 Interviews are definitely not the place to feel good about yourself. Implement your principles in your job and with your sub ordinates. I think thats where it matters the most. Firms want superior people, the best in the field. and if you dont consider yourself the best how would you convince your recruiter. I believe there is a proper time and place for everything. But as always, its a nice thought you have but its accompanied by a lot many prejudices.